Betty’s Restaurant on Sodom Rd. In 1967, Trudy and Joe Miszk purchased the restaurant. This restaurant quickly became well known and popular throughout the Niagara Region and beyond. The small dining area, with only a few tables, was not sufficient for the customer demand. As the business grew throughout the years Betty’s has undergone many changes and been expanded several times to a dining area that seats over 400.

Even though the business has grown Betty’s Restaurant strives to maintain the same home cooking and family atmosphere that has made it a popular destination. Betty’s enjoys regular customers as well as many visiting tourists and bus groups.

 

Betty’s Restaurant is located in the quaint village of Chippawa, which is now part of the City of Niagara Falls. The Chippawa area is rich in history dating well back into the 1800’s. Chippawa was incorporated as a village in 1850. However, the first settler in this area had arrived many years before that.

The village was a thriving community with a tannery, woodworking shop, a sawmill and other businesses.

Chippawa was also the site of a famous battle in the war of 1812. The American Army defeated a British force in a three-hour battle that saw the British retreat. Niagara Parks recently acquired 1000 acres of land around the battlefield and are preserving the site. This is the last untouched Battlefield in North America.

 

They are also developing a premier 45-hole golf course on the remaining land.

Laura Secord was also a famous resident of Chippawa. She established a small private school at her home on Bridgewater Street.

From 1829 until 1833, the Chippawa Creek from Port Robinson to Chippawa was part of the route of the original Welland Canal. After reaching Chippawa the ships went up the Niagara River to Buffalo.

The final chapter in the 119-year history of Chippawa was written on December 30,1969 when Chippawa Town Council met for the final time.

On January 1, 1970 Chippawa was amalgamated with the City of Niagara Falls.